Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Update on frontyard garden 2012

Hey all,

here's an update on the frontyard garden.  I was glad the parsley overwintered really well, and came up very early on in spring.  The flat leaf Italian parsley and alliums (green onions, and the chives... and even the garlic) did well coming back on their own.

So here are a few photos updating how the front looks.

Alpine Strawberry looks pretty happy...

By the front door, the rosemary coming out and acclimating to the weather with the overwintered sage behind it.  Dianthus, roses, and alpine strawberry.

Diamond shaped boxes with green onions on the border, and the beginnings of basil, and dwarf Hestia Scarlet Runner Bean

As you can see from the bottom of the photo, the lavender has not come back, but the meadow sage is coming back singing a chorus!  Everything looks decent, but I will soon plan to yank out the green onions once they go to seed, and plant alot of marigolds and red salvias.  I've been told by several people that marigolds keep the rabbits away.  I don't know the validity of this, but feel free to dispense your advice in the comments section :)     I do know marigolds are edible...
The red salvias, the kids and I love to suck out that 1 droplet of nectar that is at the bottom of that long red flower...(sorry hummingbirds!)

The diamond shaped box with the green onion around the parameter.
Basil is planted in the box.  Dwarf Hestia scarlet runner bean was planted in the shape of a diamond, and generously - but as nature usually does, it's not doing what I want it to do!!! AAAAAARGHHhhhhhhhh

The chive flowers add a touch of purple to all the green, and behind it is flat leaf Italian parsley about to go to seed.

A stack of rocks.  Hrmmmm
I took these rocks from my dad's house, and I've always like the look of stacked rocks.
They remind me of my grandmother in korea who passed away a couple of years ago. We visited a few places that had stacked rocks in Korea.  I want to say they were mostly temples, but it happens whenever you find places with many rocks: rivers, canyons, mountains...my front yard...  LOL


More pictures to come, as the season progresses!

No comments:

Post a Comment